The kids can get a little bored with daily cereal and milk for breakfast, as I mentioned in my Breakfast Muffin Tin Meal post. I'm always on the lookout for new breakfast ideas, so when I saw the cute "Breakfast in a Jar" concept doing the rounds on Pinterest I just knew I had to serve a version of this brilliant breakfast idea to my kids.
Recently, I found some hard plastic jars and thought they would be perfect for a "Breakfast in a Jar". The jars look like glass jars, but won't break if my 21 month old or 3 year old drops it on the floor in the midst of fun filled breakfast activities.
To assemble your Breakfast in a Jar, first place a few tablespoons of yoghurt at the bottom.
Next, add the fruit element, I used a couple of tablespoons of Homemade Strawberry Jam, which is more of a puree really. You could use fresh strawberries or bananas or whatever fruit you have on hand.
Then, add a layer of your favorite cereal. At the moment, the boys are loving this Cinnamon and Honey Hearts Cereal. How cute are the little hearts? As a side note the cereal tastes yummy too!
Finally, finish off with a further dollop of yoghurt on top.
Enjoy straight away or you could pop the lid on and refrigerate until needed.
This is our favorite Breakfast in a Jar combination at the moment, feel free to adjust the layers to suit your tastes. If using bigger jars you could even add a second layer of each ingredient for an even more indulgent Breakfast in a Jar.
When it comes to Breakfast Recipes, it doesn't get more exciting than Breakfast in a Jar. My Husband looked wishfully at the kids breakfasts, hoping for a taste - but alas - the boys finished every last bite. Guess I'll have to prepare a 3rd one next time for my "big kid"!
I was recently honored to be nominated by Kim at Treats and Trinkets for The Versatile Blogger Award. Her blog is full of crafty trinkets and yummy treats, such as her No-Bake Mocha Cookies - can't wait to try them!
The Versatile Blogger Award is “A great way to introduce different bloggers to each other and to promote quality blogs that awardees and their readers may not have discovered otherwise.”
Here are the rules of the Versatile Blogger Award::
- Thank the person who gave you this award.
- Include a link to their blog.
- Next, select 15 blogs/bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly.
- Nominate those 15 bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award.
- Finally, tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself.
- In the same post, include this set of rules.
- Inform each nominated blogger of their nomination by posting a comment on each of their blogs.
- The Willing Cook
- I don't cook but my boyfriend does
- Bent on Better Lunches
- Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
- Brown Eyed Baker
- Baker Street
- Sugary Flower
- Chocolate Covered Katie
- Cookies and Cups
- Gluten Free Goddess
- JDaniel4's Mom
- Healthy Kiddo Snacks
- Cornerstone Confessions
- Kitchen Fun With My Three Sons
- Tessa the Domestic Diva
- I have two "furry" children - my cats, who were "born" before my kids.
- I used to scuba dive when I was a teenager living in South Africa.
- I watched the movie Anchorman (with my sister) on the morning of my Wedding and the morning of her Wedding while we were getting ready for our big days!
- I recently went to a Roxette concert with my sister to recapture our 90's childhood!
- My favorite flower is the sunflower - I just love how bright and happy they are, like a flower of sunshine!
- I've worn glasses since I was 4 years old! (I only hope the kids have My Husband's perfect vision!)
- I've been to Vienna (Austria) 3 times and could probably live there if it wasn't so far from my family or so cold during winter!
Linking up at:
Happy Hour Friday; Feature Yourself Friday; Hodgepodge Friday; Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday; Inspire Me Fridays;Strut Your Stuff Saturdays; Sweet Saturday; Saturday Spotlight;
Back to Breakfast in a Jar - I'd love to hear from you, what's your favorite breakfast treat?