I've enjoyed experimenting with Quinoa the past few weeks. I made Quinoa Porridge the other week and have also prepared a Quinoa Salad, which looked good, but I'm not 100% happy with the outcome, taste wise, so I'm going to experiment a little further before sharing the recipe with you.
This Coconut Chicken with Quinoa & Vegetables is the most delicious of all Quinoa Recipes I've prepared to date. I adapted it from a recipe in "The Complete Whole Grain Cookbook" and my Husband helped himself to 2nds (and 3rds) of this dish and Mr 22 months enjoyed it thoroughly too. The coconut flavor takes this chicken dish to a very special place, and is a recipe that is going to be repeated again and again.
Coconut Chicken with Quinoa & Vegetables is a simple to prepare "One Pot Dish" which I'm sure will become a family favorite. Feel free to tinker with the herbs, spices and vegetables to your liking, the recipe I've shared is for my families favorite combination.
I deconstructed the dish a little and served it to Mr 22 Months in a Bento Lunchbox. I used a Rice Mold to make a Star/Flower Shape (depending which way you look at it!) for the Quinoa Portion of the dish and then made a pattern with the chicken and vegetables and place a few Animal Food Picks in the chicken for a bit of fun.
Coconut Chicken with Quinoa & Vegetables
Adapted from The Complete Whole Grain Cookbook
1 Onion, diced (I used a red onion)
2 Tablespoons Oil
500g Chicken Breasts or Thighs, chopped into bite sized pieces
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and finely diced
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
200g Mushrooms, sliced
1 Red Capsicum/Pepper, top and seeds removed and diced
1 Cup Quinoa, rinsed really well and drained
270ml Coconut Milk
1 Cup Chicken Stock
1. Soften the onion in the oil in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove.
2. Add the chicken to the saucepan and mix through the garlic and coriander.
3. Once the chicken is browned, add the mushrooms and red capsicum and stir through.
4. Add the Quinoa and mix through to combine.
5. Pour over the coconut milk and stock, turn up the heat and bring up to the boil.
6. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the Quinoa is cooked through.
7. Have a kettle of boiled water at the ready in case all the coconut milk and stock is absorbed before the Quinoa is cooked.
8. Serve straight from the pot.
Makes 4 Generous Adult Servings
To create the Bento Lunchbox you'll need:
Linking up at:
Whole Food Wednesdays; Fireflies and Jellybeans; Wow Me Wednesday; Cast Party Wednesday; Tastetastic Thursday; Showcase Your Talent Thursday;Inspire Me Fridays;