Friday, April 27, 2012
Creamy Mushroom Soup
Growing up, my Granny lived in a Hotel which served the most amazing Mushroom Soup in their restaurant. It was the treat of my week to visit her and share a meal in the restaurant with my family. The soup I remember was creamy, but not too rich and had a perfectly balanced mushroom flavor. To this day I still try to recreate that distinct Mushroom Soup flavor every-time I make a batch.
I think I got pretty close with this recipe. Just the smell of the soup cooking took me back to my childhood. I love how food does that. It was met with raving reviews by my Husband and he's already asked me to make it again.
Creamy Mushroom Soup is a simple soup to prepare, finely chopped onion and sliced mushrooms are cooked down to maximize flavor and then stock and milk are poured over and simmered away to become a delicious soup.
In case you're wondering, my Granny is alive and well and 100 years old! I hope the rest of my family are blessed with her longevity genes!
We like our soup un-pureed, so didn't puree it at all. You could puree all or a portion of the soup, depending on your preference. I find this soup creamy enough without the addition of any cream, but feel free to stir through a little cream or sour cream just before serving if you like your soup extra creamy!
Creamy Mushroom Soup
1 Tablespoon Oil
1 Large Onion, finely diced
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and finely diced
500g Mushrooms, sliced
2 Cups Chicken Stock (or Vegetable Stock if you prefer)
1 and 1/2 Cups Milk
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, soften the onion and garlic in the oil.
2. Add the mushrooms and stir through. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are softened and significantly reduced in size.
3. Pour over the stock and milk and bring up to the boil.
4. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
6. Serve as is or puree some or all of the soup in a food processor to desired consistency.
Makes 4 Generous Servings
Linking up at: Mix it up Monday;Makin You Crave Monday; Market Yourself Monday; Sweet Spot Recipe Party; Gluten Free Wednesdays; Allergy Free Wednesday;