These Honey Roasted Chickpeas (also known as Garbanzo Beans) are incredibly nutritious, full of fiber, protein and are dangerously addictive! Not just for me, I witnessed Mr 22 Months grab HANDFULS and shovel them in his mouth - I couldn't help but giggle because he looked like a little squirrel with nuts stored in his cheeks.
I saw packets of Chickpea "Nuts" at the store recently and thought I'd try make them myself for the boys. Firstly so I'd know exactly what was in their snack food and second so I could flavor them as I chose, because the ones I saw were highly salted.
Honey Roasted Chickpeas are super simple to make and I'd highly suggest doubling the recipe if there are more than two of you. You simply rinse, drain and dry a tin of cooked chickpeas, in the process some of the skins fell of which are best discarded so they don't burn. The chickpeas are them placed in a baking tray and covered in a sweet honey butter.
Then the Chickpeas are popped in the oven to roast. It's best to check them every 10 minutes and toss them around so they brown evenly. Look how much they browned after just the first 10 minutes in the oven.
In addition to serving them straight from the bowl, I also served a handful of Honey Roasted Chickpeas in a "You're a Star" Muffin Tin Meal. I also included a homemade muffin, and green apple and cucumber stars, which were cut out and then put back into their fruit/vegetable.
Honey Roasted Chickpeas
400g (14oz) Tin Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
2 teaspoons Honey
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F).
2. Melt the butter and honey together in the microwave for 20 seconds at a time until the butter is melted and combined with the honey.
3. Rinse and drain the chickpeas really well and then dry them as much as possible with paper towel. Remove any Chickpea skins which fall off in the process.
4. Place the Chickpeas in an oven proof dish and pour the melted honey and butter over them. Stir carefully so that the honey mixture is well distributed, while ensuring you don't squash the chickpeas.
5. Place in the oven to 30 to 40 minutes, removing from the oven every 10 minute to mix the chickpeas around so each side has an even chance of browning.
6. Remove from the oven, allow to cool then serve as a healthy snack.
These Honey Roasted Chickpeas are a simple (and addictive!) Healthy Kids Snack. (<- Tweet This)
To recreate the above Muffin Tin Meal, you'll need:
Disclosure - This post contains affiliate links.