This Pumpkin and Lentil Risotto is a hearty and nutritious meatless meal. Rice is such a quick and easy go to meal, just a few additions can make a simple rice dish into a wholesome, delicious family meal.
I love how the pumpkin becomes a bright orange puree, holding the rice and lentils together. I used butternut pumpkin for this recipe, but you could use ordinary pumpkin if you preferred. The weight I described is the weight of the whole piece of butternut I was using.
I used dried green lentils for this recipe, follow the instructions on your packet for cooking them prior to use in the recipe. I rinsed and drained mine well before boiling them in water for 45 minutes to cook. The lentils were then rinsed and drained again and put aside, ready for use in the Pumpkin and Lentil Risotto.
Pumpkin and Lentil Risotto
1 Cup Dry Lentils or 2 Cups Cooked
1 Onion, peeled and diced
1 Tablespoon Oil
200g Mushrooms, Sliced
1 Butternut Pumpkin (mine was about 700 grams)
1 and 1/2 Cups Rice
2 Cups Vegetable Stock
1 Cup Boiling Water
1. Prepare the lentils by following the package instructions to cook them. (as discussed above)
2. In a saucepan over medium high heat, brown the onion in the oil and then add the sliced mushrooms.
3. Once the onions and mushrooms are softened, add the pumpkin and rice, give it all a good stir and then pour over the stock, water and squeeze over the juice from the orange half.
4. Bring the risotto up to the boil and then reduce the heat down to simmer gently for aout 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Have a kettle of water boiled on the side because you may find that after a while the water is all absorbed, so you have hot water ready to add to keep the risotto bubbling.
6. Once the rice is tender, add the cooked lentils and stir to heat the lentils through, then serve.
Makes 4 Adult Servings