My family adores cheesy bake dishes, as you may have noticed from the regular recipes which contain a cheesy bake of some description, including Tuna and 4 Veg Polenta Bake and Potato, Tuna and Mushroom Gratin. This time, my cheese offering is a side dish to complement a main meal and maybe even tempt the non cauliflower/broccoli eater in your house to try some.
I decided to make a lighter version of the classic cheesy cauliflower/broccoli bake – without the addition of calorie rich cream. Cottage cheese is a much lighter ingredient, yet you still get the creamy texture and flavor you expect from such a dish. The dish is also lightened by being topped with just a few tablespoons of Parmesan, a cheese that only requires a little to provide a huge flavor hit.
To make the Cheesy Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake, simply place your frozen vegetables into a microwave and oven safe dish. Microwave until defrosted.
Beat together the cottage cheese and egg until you have a smooth and creamy mixture.
Then, it’s simply a matter of mixing together the cottage cheese mix and the vegetables until they are well combined.
Sprinkle over the Parmesan and then place in the oven until cheesy and golden.
I made the dish using half a 500g bag of frozen mixed cauliflower and broccoli, but feel free to use all of one or the other, or use a couple of heads of fresh cauliflower and broccoli. If you’re not using frozen, then simply skip the defrosting step and go straight to mixing the egg and cottage cheese together before mixing in with the vegetables.
My Husband was only halfway through his first mouthful when he insisted that I make this again. Soon. The dish was met with a similar response from Mr (almost) 2 who kept wanting more and more! I served the Cheesy Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake to him as part of a Bear Themed Bento Lunchbox, along with some bear shaped peanut butter sandwiches and bear shaped apples, that I made using various Bear Cookie Cutters. (where to find bear cookie cutters)
- 250g Mixed Cauliflower and Broccoli
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Place the frozen vegetables in a dish that is microwave safe and oven safe. First place in the microwave to defrost the vegetables to around room temperature.
- In a bowl, beat together the egg and cottage cheese until smooth.
- Once the vegetables have defrosted, keep them in the oven proof dish and pour the cottage cheese mix over the veg and stir through until evenly distributed.
- Top with the grated Parmesan and place the dish in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden.
You’ll also love these Yummy Cheesy Bakes:
Want more inspiration? Then Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for all sorts of Yummy Inspirations, like these 2 Ingredient Banana Pancakes:
Never Miss A Post! Enter Your Email For Free Blog Updates:
Rest assured that your email address is safe and you can unsubscribe at any time!
Disclosure – this post contains affiliate links.