Friday, May 11, 2012
Quinoa and Egg Salad
This Quinoa and Egg Salad is a protein packed version of the much loved Potato Salad. The hearty flavors of Quinoa and Egg are a heavenly combination with the caramelized Onions and Mushrooms. The plain natural yoghurt (or Greek yoghurt) glues the dish together and is a healthy alternative to a salad full of high calorie mayonnaise.
This Quinoa and Egg Salad is great as a light dinner after a day of over indulging (such as on Mothers Day, Birthdays or Holidays) or as a filling lunchbox dish. It's a delicious way to enjoy this trendy ingredient and maybe even introduce it to the fussy eater in your house!
Quinoa and Egg Salad Recipe
1 Cup Quinoa
2 Cups Water (or 2 Cups Stock or half/half)
1 teaspoon Oil
1 Onion, Sliced
200g (7oz) Mushrooms, Sliced
4 Hard Boiled Eggs, Sliced
1 Cup Plain Natural Yoghurt (or Greek Yoghurt)
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1. In a sieve, thoroughly rinse and clean the Quinoa and place it in a saucepan on the stove-top.
2. Pour the water/stock over the Quinoa and bring the saucepan up to the boil over medium heat.
3. Once boiling, turn the heat down and simmer the Quinoa, stirring regularly, for 10 minutes or until cooked and all of the water is absorbed.
4. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and, when hot, add the onions. Gently soften the onions over low to medium heat. When the onions begin to soften. add the mushrooms and cook over a low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the onions have become caramelized and translucent.
5. Once the onions and mushrooms have cooked, add them to the cooked Quinoa and stir to combine.
6. Allow the saucepan to cool down completely before adding the sliced hard boiled eggs, yoghurt and salt and pepper, to taste.
7. You could serve the salad direct from the saucepan or move it to a large salad bowl.
Serves 4 as a main meal
Linking up at: Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday; It's a Hodgepodge Friday; Happy Hour Friday; Strut Your Stuff Saturday;My Meatless Mondays; Frugal Food Thursdays; Beautify it Monday; Show it Off Mondays; Made from scratch Monday;
More Quinoa Recipes:
Coconut Chicken with Quinoa and Vegetables
Red Quinoa and Chocolate Chip Cookies