After making Polenta Biscotti, I kept looking for other interesting recipes to include my opened bag of Polenta. This Tuna and 4 Veg Polenta Bake was my next cooking experiment. I liked the idea of baking Polenta into a comfort type dish, similar to my Potato, Tuna and Mushroom Gratin.
There are 4 nutritious vegetables packed into this comforting dish. You can include whichever 4 you like, the vegetables I've included are family favorites and work well together... Zucchini, Onion, Leek and Mushrooms.
I served a portion of the Tuna & 4 Veg Polenta Bake to Mr 22 Months with some cute as part of a Bento Lunchbox. Also included in his meal are cranberries in a Flower Cup and green apple pieces cut into and an Airplane and a Boat.
Tuna & 4 Veg Polenta Bake
Adapted from AlltheCooks.Com
2 tsp oil
1 Onion, Chopped
1 Leek, white part only, cleaned and sliced
200g Mushrooms, sliced
1 Zucchini, diced
2 Cups Water or Stock or Half/Half
1 Cup Polenta
425g Tin Tuna
1/2 Cup Cheese, finely grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180 and get out a baking dish.
2. In a frying pan over low to medium heat, soften the onion and leek in the oil.
3. Add the mushrooms and zucchini and cook for 15 minutes to reduce.
4. Meanwhile, pour the water or stock into a saucepan and bring up to the boil. Once boiling, pour the Polenta over in a steady stream and stir continuously until thickened and creamy.
5. Once the Polenta is cooked, add the reduced vegetables and tuna to the saucepan. Stir well to combine.
6. Pour the Polenta, Vegetable and Tuna mixture into the baking dish and cover with the grated cheese.
7. Place in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes to set.
Serves 4 to 6
To Recreate the Bento lunchbox, you'll need:
Linking up at:
Gluten Free Wednesdays; Allergy Free Wednesdays; Strut Your Stuff Saturday;