These Honey Chicken Nuggets are a bit of a miracle in our house – it’s the first time Mr 3 has willingly, openly eaten Chicken in a “healthy” form. I have tried and tried every chicken nugget recipe I could get my hands on. Soaking the nuggets in all manner of marinades. He turned his nose up at every single one, refusing to eat more than a teeny tiny bite. So, I usually end up hiding chicken in other foods so that he at least eats the nutritious protein.
I didn’t give up, and kept trying different recipes until, out of the blue, I thought, what if I tenderized the nuggets in honey? There is just something about the sweetness of honey that manages to draw in even my ultra picky eater to the point he just couldn’t resist and ate nugget after nugget… while I did a happy dance on the side!
We love our Honey Chicken Nuggets coated in Matzo Meal, because it gives it a nutty flavor and texture. You could use breadcrumbs instead. Also, I haven’t specified volume of flour or matzo meal because it just depends on how thick you like yours crumbed. I always just sprinkle it onto the plate and top up as needed.
In the past month, I have made these at least once a week and both boys absolutely demolish them! I have also followed the same recipe and made “grown up” Chicken Schnitzel’s for dinner for my Husband and I – I just left the breasts whole and followed the rest of the recipe. They are so sweet and tender and moist and delicious that they are now also a “Husband Favorite”!
The boys love their Honey Chicken Nuggets in a Muffin Tin Meal, along with some popcorn and red pepper stars. I should have shown you a before and after of this meal because Mr 3 polished off every last crumb!
Honey Chicken Nuggets
250g Chicken Breast
1 Tablespoon Honey (where to find honey)
1 Egg, beaten
Oil, for frying
1. Cut the chicken in to “nugget” sized pieces
2. Place the chicken nuggets into a bowl and drizzle over the honey. Mix to combine the honey really well and place in the fridge to marinate and tenderize for at least an hour.
3. Once the chicken nuggets have been in the fridge for an hour, get prepared for the crumbing process by laying out a plate with flour, a plate with breadcrumbs/matzo meal and a bowl with the beaten egg.
4. First place each nugget in the flour to coat, then dip in the egg and finally roll it around in the breadcrumbs/matzo meal to coat it completely.
5. Once crumbed, place the nuggets on a plate in the fridge for half an hour. The extra fridge time helps the nuggets to “set” in their coating.
6. Heat a little oil in a large frying pan and, when hot, place the nuggets in the frying pan and cook until golden on both sides and cooked through.
Substitution Note – you can substitute the flour/breadcrumbs for a gluten free option, the magic of these nuggets is the honey marinade, so it can be altered to suit your families tastes/needs.
To create your own muffin tin creation you’ll need:
Never Miss A Post! Enter Your Email For Free Blog Updates:
Rest assured that your email address is safe and you can unsubscribe at any time!
Disclosure – this post contains affiliate links.