We love pasta in our house, and we love cheesy bake dishes even more. Unfortunately, lately we have found that Mr 2's eczema has worsened with the cold winter weather we are having. We have found though, that the less wheat/gluten he eats, the better his skin is. With that in mind, I've been trying to cook as many Gluten Free meals for him as possible and minimize his wheat/gluten intake. So, I thought a Gluten Free Macaroni Cheese would satisfy our pasta/cheese needs, while not disturbing Mr 2's skin too much.
I used a brown rice elbow pasta that I found at a local Japanese Supermarket. The boys eat the pasta by the bowlful so I thought I'd use it in a yummy Macaroni Cheese, a comforting dish to pick us up on a cold winters day.
To make the Gluten Free Macaroni Cheese, first, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and prepare the pasta according to the package directions. I used brown rice elbows, but you can use whatever gluten free pasta you have. If gluten isn't an issue, then use your favorite pasta instead. Once cooked, place the pasta into an ovenproof dish for your macaroni cheese.
To make the cheese sauce, you simply combine together the cream cheese, egg, milk and salt & pepper. I like to use my potato/vegetable masher to squish the block of cream cheese into a smooth consistency of a creamy cheese sauce.
As this recipe was created with Mr 2 in mind, I kept the recipe relatively simple. He is a good eater, but prefers his ingredients separately on his plate.With that in mind, feel free to add all or any of the following optional extras:
- A Cup of grated cheese for an extra cheesy topping.
- Mix through a couple of teaspoons of your favorite mustard.
- Vegetables - instead of serving vegetables on the side, you could cook some peas and corn into the macaroni.
- Nutritional Yeast - I recently got myself a packet and am learning about this interesting ingredient. If you'd like to add some extra B Vitamins and cheesy flavor to your Macaroni Cheese, then sprinkle a couple of tablespoons into the cheese sauce.
Gluten Free Macaroni Cheese
250g (8.82 ounces) Gluten Free Macaroni (I used Brown Rice Elbows)
250g (8.82 ounces) Cream Cheese
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 Cup Milk (or use a Milk Substitute if you prefer)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
3. Drain and rinse cooked macaroni and place into an oven proof dish.
4. To make the cheese sauce, in a bowl, combine the cream cheese, egg, milk and salt and pepper. Mix together until well combined. I use a potato masher to make it easier to transform the thick cream cheese into a sauce consistency.
5. Pour the cheese sauce over the prepared macaroni in the dish and stir well to combine.
6. Place the macaroni cheese into the preheated oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned.
7. Serve with vegetables or a side salad.
Serves 4 to 6
As I'm getting more into the gluten free way of cooking, I'd love to hear your gluten free tips and hints.
Sharing at: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday;Gluten Free Wednesdays; Lil' Luna; Allergy Free Wednesday; Fresh Foods; Whole Foods Wednesday; Healthy 2day Wednesdays;What's for Lunch Wednesday; Keep It Real Thursday; Sweet Treats & Swanky Stuff; Tastetastic Thursday; Pennywise Platter Thursday; Pin It Thursday; Allergy Friendly Friday; Makin You Crave Monday; Mix it Up Monday; Monday Mania;
More Yummy Cheesy Bakes:
Cheesy Cauliflower & Broccoli Bake
Macaroni and Cheese with Cauliflower & Coconut
Potato, Tuna & Mushroom Gratin