Having 2 young kids means that our nights out are few and far between. So, instead when we feel the need for a little indulgence, I prepare our favorite “restaurant meal” at home – Date Night Steak With Mushroom Sauce.
I make it in a couple of stages – around the kid’s bedtime routine so that just as they are sound asleep, the dinner is ready and we can enjoy our Date Night meal imagining for a moment that we were at a fancy restaurant – kid free!
Don’t get me wrong – I adore our family mealtimes together – I just also enjoy some one to one time with my Handsome Hubby – an important element in any Marriage, I believe. 🙂
I cook a whole 500g/1.1 pound of mushrooms – which reduces to a cooked bowlful – we love our sauce extra mushroomy – with nothing else included – totally pure mushrooms.
Regarding the sauce, the volume of cream/coconut cream (taste and dietary requirement depending) really depends on how creamy you want your sauce. Start with a quarter of a cup and if you’d prefer it creamier, then simply add more cream to taste.
Cooking a steak can be a very personal process – with one person liking their steak cooked completely differently to the next person. In this recipe, I’ll share our preferred cooking method – if you have your own preferred method then feel free to follow that instead. 🙂
- 500g/1.1 Pounds Mushrooms, Chopped
- 2 Steak Portions (We prefer Porterhouse)
- Butter/Coconut Oil for cooking
- 1/4 Cup Cream/Coconut Cream for the sauce
- Salt & Seasoning to taste
- Heat a little coconut oil or butter in a large frying pan.
- When melted add the mushrooms and cook over low to medium heat, until cooked and significantly reduced.
- Once the mushrooms have cooked, move them to a bowl and set them aside until the steak has been cooked.
- Rinse out the frying pan, to cook the steaks when you're ready. (It's at this point I usually pause the cooking process, do the kid's bedtime routine and then move on with the steak cooking process.)
- Remove the steaks from the fridge, season them and give them about 5 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, heat a little coconut oil/butter in the frying pan.
- When hot, place the steaks into the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn the steaks over and cook until done to your liking - for us that's about another 5 minutes.
- Once the steaks are cooked to your liking, remove from the frying pan to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the steaks are resting, make the mushroom sauce - rinse out your frying pan one last time and place the cooked mushrooms back in, along with the cream/coconut cream.
- Cook until the sauce is bubbling and has thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked steaks and enjoy!
This is seriously both of our favorite meals and both of us adore the steak and mushroom sauce every single time.
Now you know our date night meal, I’d love to hear from you. Please share your date night meal in the comments.
Never Miss A Post! Enter Your Email For Free Blog Updates:
Rest assured that your email address is safe and you can unsubscribe at any time!